- Registration of Births & Deaths is compulsory as per provisions of registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969.
- In India it is mandatory under the law to register every birth/stillbirth and death with the concerned state/UT Government within 21 days of its occurrence.
- Reporting of birth/death for registration after 21 days of occurrence comes under the category of late registration.
- Birth and death reported after one year of its occurrence can be registered on an order made by the area Magistrate i.e. SDM or the first class Magistrate or a Presidency Magistrate and on payment of Rs 10/- as late fee.
- Birth and death reported after 21 days but within 30 days of its occurrence can be registered on payment of Rs 2/- as late fee.
- Birth and death reported after one month but within one year of its occurrence can be registered only with the written permission of the Registrar on Payment of Rs. 5/-
- Name of the child can be entered in the Birth record free of cost within one year occurrence of births either orally or in writing. After one year, but within a period of 15 years (w.e.f. 1.1.2000 as per provisions of DRBD Rules 1999), name can be got entered on payment of Rs 5/- as late fee.
- Birth/Death can be registered at the place of occurrence only.
Guidelines for filling the form:
- For Birth: Fill in Form No. 1 given below and submit to the Officer at the address given below.
- For Death: Fill in Application orm given below and submit to the Officer at the address given below.
- Information in the form of certificate from Nursing Home/Private Hospital, if born/died in Nursing Home/Private Hospital within 21 days in Form No. 1
- Information to Registrar from source other than Nursing Home and Private Hospital within 21 days.
How to apply:
- The applicant shall submit the duly filled in required application form to the officer given below during office hours in any working day.
- Necessary verification will be carried out within 7 (seven) working days.
- Acceptance or Rejection of the petition will be informed to the petitioner within 15 (fifteen) working days after due approval of the competent authority.
Forms to be filled:
Form No. 1 for Registration of Birth
Application Form for Death Registration
Sr. Medical Officer
Guwahati Municipal Corporation
2rd Floor, Lakhtokia
Guwahati - 781001