Guwahati Municipal Corporation (GMC) is the urban local body responsible for governing, developing and managing Guwahati. It administers an area of 216.79 km² of Guwahati city. The entire GMC area is divided into 31 municipal wards and each municipal ward is further divided into 2, 3 or 4 Area Sabhas. Presently, there are 90 Area Sabhas. GMC works under Guwahati Development Department, Assam.
GMC administers through various branches/sections/cells located at its different offices situated mainly at various places of Guwahati city. The municipal services provided by GMC are
- Property assessment/reassessment/mutation
- Development and maintenance of roads/drains
- Issue and renewal of trade license
- Development and maintenance of municipal markets
- Construction and maintenance of Public Toilets/e-Toilets
- Building permission
- Development and allotment of parking slots
- Development and maintenance of parks and ponds
- Hoarding and advertisement
- Issue of Birth/Death certificates
- Installation and maintenance of Street Lights
- Cesspool emptier
- Construction and maintenance of crematorium
- Implementation of different central/state Government programmes schemes and projects
- Water supply with metered/non-metered connection. etc
- For property tax and trade licence purposes, the corporation area is divided into six revenue zones.
- For Conservancy and Public works, the corporation area is divided into six engineering divisions
There are over 2 lakh assessed holdings and about 30,000 water connections to different commercial and residential households.