- Registration of Births & Deaths is compulsory as per provisions of registration of Births & Deaths Act, 1969.
- In India it is mandatory under the law to register every birth/stillbirth and death with the concerned state/UT Government within 21 days of its occurrence.
- Reporting of birth/death for registration after 21 days of occurrence comes under the category of late registration.
- Birth and death reported after one year of its occurrence can be registered on an order made by the area Magistrate i.e. SDM or the first class Magistrate or a Presidency Magistrate and on payment of Rs 10/- as late fee.
- Birth and death reported after 21 days but within 30 days of its occurrence can be registered on payment of Rs 2/- as late fee.
- Birth and death reported after one month but within one year of its occurrence can be registered only with the written permission of the Registrar on Payment of Rs. 5/-
- Name of the child can be entered in the Birth record free of cost within one year occurrence of births either orally or in writing. After one year, but within a period of 15 years (w.e.f. 1.1.2000 as per provisions of DRBD Rules 1999), name can be got entered on payment of Rs 5/- as late fee.
- Birth/Death can be registered at the place of occurrence only.
Registration of Births and Deaths is compulsory in India at the place of occurrence within 21 days of occurance. It can be done later but there will be added implications such as late fees.
Birth Certificate is issued to a person
- whose parents are Indian Citizen
- on submission of Birth Certificate from Nursing Home or Hospital
Guidelines for filling the form:
- For Birth: Fill in Form No. 1 given below and submit to the Officer at the address given below.
- For Death: Fill in Application orm given below and submit to the Officer at the address given below.
- Information in the form of certificate from Nursing Home/Private Hospital, if born/died in Nursing Home/Private Hospital within 21 days in Form No. 1
- Information to Registrar from source other than Nursing Home and Private Hospital within 21 days.
How to apply:
- The applicant shall submit the duly filled in required application form to the officer given below during office hours in any working day.
- Necessary verification will be carried out within 7 (seven) working days.
- Acceptance or Rejection of the petition will be informed to the petitioner within 15 (fifteen) working days after due approval of the competent authority.
Type of Service:
It is NOT an online service.
Forms to be filled:
Form No. 1 for Registration of Birth
Application Form for Death Registration
Guwahati Municipal Corporation
3rd Floor, GMC Market
Guwahati - 781001